Friday, April 24, 2009

Day One:

Welcome to the sometimes cobwebbed, often confused, but hopefully interesting recesses of my thoughts. I have always been creative, loved crafting in many different mediums; spent an embarrassing amount of time, efforts and yes, money on supplies that I “just had to have”. I managed to create some things over the years....most have disappeared with time. I wasn't sure where my uncontrollable need to create would take me, until I found clay.

My “ah – ha” moment came when I took a class at a Recreation Center in my home town. A wheel thrown pottery class was magic for me. Something happened when my hands became covered with the clay. It somehow managed to enter my blood stream and find a home there; clay became a part of who I am, a part my soul. I will never be a master potter, I found my calling too late in life. I am not physically able to master the art, but I am a potter.

My pieces are a part of me. The process of bringing the mugs, bowls, plates, covered jars, face jugs, etc..... is exciting, fulfilling and essential to my happiness. I have also gained many insights into how the clay teaches me about life in general. Becoming at least proficient in pottery is a long process and requires much practice. The time spent in the pursuit of success with clay means many hours of thinking and musing.

Join me often as I share these lessons. I invite your thoughts, but have a few requests. Life is hard, the past few months have become harder for many people. We all need places to go where we can find peace, security, and spiritual uplifting. This blog is intended to share the peace I find when I work with clay. Please do not share opinions or ideas that will not contribute to this lofty goal. We need to lift one another up, not pull a brother or sister down.